Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Quenching one's thirst

For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd;
He will lead them to springs of living water.  Rev 7:17


Worship of the Lamb of God – Central detail Ghent altarpiece/
Flemish VanEyck brothers (1432)


"That eternal Spring is hidden
yet I know well where it flows...
I know that there can be nothing else so beautiful
and that the heavens and the earth drink there...

I know well that its bottom cannot be found
and that no one can penetrate its depths...
Its clarity is never muddied,
and I know that every light has come from it...
Well do I know how vast, how mighty is the flow
of the stream born in this Fount...
                         
This eternal Spring is hidden
in this living Bread to give us life...
It is here calling to creatures
and from its water they quench their thirst...
This living Fount that I long for
I see in this Bread of Life... "
 
 
St John of the Cross
Doctor (mystical theology) of the Church
Spain ~ 1542 - 1591
Carmelite priest and reformer
Co-founder Discalced Carmelites
w/St Teresa of Ávila
FEAST DAY - Dec 14
 
 
“In the evening of life, we will be judged on love alone.” 
~ St John of the Cross


St John of the Cross, ora pro nobis!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment