Sunday, May 8, 2016

Here: the beautiful and important reign...

Seventh Sunday of Easter OR
Solemnity of the Ascension of the Lord*

*All worldwide and ecclesiastical U.S. provinces of BostonHartfordNew YorkNewarkPhiladelphia and the state of Nebraska have retained this celebration
on Thursday, while all other US provinces have transferred
the Solemnity to the Seventh Sunday of Easter.

large.jpg (500×698)

"When Holy Mass is properly celebrated 
there are moments in which the voices 
of both priest and faithful become silent. ...

That stillness proper to the most beautiful things 
in existence dominates, a quiet area of attentiveness 
in which the beautiful and truly important reign.  

We must earnestly desire stillness and be willing to give something for it; then it will be ours.  Once we have experienced it, we will be astounded that we were able to live without it. ...

If someone were to ask me what the liturgical life begins with, 
I should answer:  with learning stillness.
Without it, everything remains superficial, vain."

Romano Guardini
Preparing Yourself for Mass
*32 holy mediations guaranteed to help you pray better, pay closer attention,and grow more reverent during Mass... 
no matter where, when or how it is celebrated 
(Excerpt from Chapter 1)

Painting above: Maiden Meditation, Charles West Cope (1847)

 Blessed Mother’s Day to all!

motherpraying.jpg (300×225)

Some have had kings in their lineage,
Some to whom honor was paid.
Not blest of my ancestors - but,
I have a mother who prays.

I have a mother who prays for me
And pleads with the Lord every day for me.
Oh what a difference it makes for me - 
I have a mother who prays.

Some have worldly success
And trust in riches they've made - 
This is my surest asset,
I have a mother who prays.

My mother's prayers cannot save me,
Only mine can avail;
But mother introduced me to Someone - 
Someone who never could fail.

Oh yes..I have a mother who prays for me
And pleads with the Lord every day for me.
O what a difference it makes for me - 
I have a mother who prays.

Author Unknown


387_0-84598900-1430444879_adoration-giuseppe-magni-bpfbt.jpg (600×477)

Dearest mothers, thank you, ... thank you for what you are
in your family and for what you give to the Church and the world. 
And to you, beloved Church, thank you, thank you for being mother. 
And to you, Mary, Mother of God, thank you for letting us see Jesus. 
And thank you for all the mammas. Let us salute them! ~ Pope Francis 

Painting: Adoration, Giuseppe Magni (1869-1956)

a75c2732bad32260fca7220d1309661f.jpg (236×354)



https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhclNP8y_mnM3HhXE_euy7AJqe3bbwmxohIltGCAKszKxUWJENZE5orTnEYF6U2qZFfGgt7o6pPgomoz45dKdOIjZPJH33EZlBYeLjPljr03BzKXGfpKeGHHfgKwblF7GPqd2_Bto57vgX3/s1600-h/10.things+of+earth+appear+small+when+one+possesses+the+sovereign+good.jpg

A day in HISTORY Today, May 8, is the Birthday Anniversary of St John Vianney and also the Anniversary of my First Holy Communion - oh-so-many years ago. Earlier in that week I had contracted the measles and so was home convalescing, but I remember the day vividly! 

Everything was made ready:  Two tiny beeswax candles were lit from the Crucifix Sick Call set.  A silver spoon lay next to a glass of water in case I needed assistance. 

When Fr.Kern brought the Blessed Sacrament into our home a sweet, holy hush blanketed the living room. The relatives that had gathered to celebrate my private First Holy Communion, reverently bowed very low.  I listened, I watched and I pondered all - fittingly dressed in my white dress and veil.  My polka-dotted face held beaming grin and my heart nearly burst! ~ Janette

Oh, happy, holy day!

Do you remember/can you figure out 
your First Holy Communion date? 

Do HEARTILY celebrate it!

Translation holy card: "The things of earth seem of little account
when one possesses the highest good."

No comments:

Post a Comment