Wednesday, December 14, 2016

The heavens and the earth drink there...

“In the evening of life, 
we will be judged on love alone.”  
St John of the Cross

2012AA01811.jpg (822×540)

"That eternal Spring is hidden
    yet I know well where it flows...
   I know that there can be
   nothing else so beautiful
   and that the heavens and the earth drink there...

   I know well that its bottom cannot be found
   and that no one can penetrate its depths...
   Its clarity is never muddied,
   and I know that every light has come from it...
   Well do I know how vast, how mighty is the flow
   of the stream born in this Fount...

     This eternal Spring is hidden
    in this living Bread to give us life...
    It is here calling to creatures
    and from its water they quench their thirst...
    This living Fount that I long for
    I see in this Bread of Life..."


St John of the Cross
Doctor (mystical theology) of the Church
Spain ~ 1542 - 1591
Carmelite priest and reformer
Co-founder Discalced Carmelites
w/St Teresa of Ávila
FEAST DAY - Dec 14

Painting above: Still Life of Flowers and Grapes Encircling a Monstrance in a Niche (c. 1670)  ~ Jan Van Kessel

 

"Where there is no love, put love --
and you will find love."- St John of the Cross


 St John of the Cross, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment