Thursday, October 17, 2019

Wheat of God...

"The death of the martyrs blossoms in the FAITH of the living." 
- Pope St Gregory the Great


Born in SyriaIgnatius converted to Christianity and eventually became bishop of Antioch. In the year 107, Emperor Trajan visited Antioch and forced the Christians there to choose between death and apostasy. Ignatius would not deny Christ and thus was condemned to be put to death in Rome.

Ignatius is well known for the seven letters he wrote on the long journey from Antioch to Rome. Five of these letters are to Churches in Asia Minor; they urge the Christians there to remain faithful to God and to obey their superiors. He warns them against heretical doctrines, providing them with the solid truths of the Christian faith.

The sixth letter was to Polycarp, bishop of Smyrna, who was later martyred for the faith. The final letter begs the Christians in Rome not to try to stop his martyrdom. Ignatius bravely met the lions in the Circus Maximus.

"I am writing to all the Churches and I enjoin all, that I am dying willingly for God's sake, if only you do not prevent it. I beg you, do not do me an untimely kindness.   

The only thing I ask of you  is to allow me to offer the libation of my blood to God.
I am the wheat of the Lord; may I be ground by the teeth of the beasts to become the immaculate bread of Christ."St Ignatius of Antioch, Letter to the Romans

St Ignatius of Antioch
Bishop and Martyr
Church Father
First Century - d. 107
Disciple of St John the Evangelist
First to use term "Catholic" Church
Feast Day - October 17

Image- painting:  The Christian Martyrs Last Prayer - Jean Leon Gerome (+1904) 

 

"My desire is to belong to God." ~ St Ignatius of Antioch


St Ignatius of Antioch, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment