Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Christ: whole inheritance

The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
surely I have a delightful inheritance. - Psalm 16:6


 
Artist: Jed Gibbons
 
"God, in His promises to hear our prayers, is desirous to bestow Himself upon us; if you find anything better than Him, ask it; but if you ask anything beneath Him, you put an affront upon Him, and hurt yourself by preferring to Him a creature which He framed: Pray in the spirit and sentiment of love, in which the royal prophet said to Him, 'Thou, O Lord, are my portion.' Let others choose to themselves portions among creatures, for my part, You are my portion, You alone I have chosen for my whole inheritance."

St Augustine of Canterbury*
Not to be confused with St Augustine of Hippo
Italian Benedictine monk
sent by Pope Gregory the Great as missionary to England
First Archbishop of Canterbury
+605
Patron of England


 

In a letter to Augustine, Pope Gregory the Great wrote:
"He who would climb to a lofty height must go by steps, not leaps."

St Augustine of Canterbury, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment