Sunday, August 2, 2015

JOY to my youth!

Then I will go to the altar of God, to God my
exceeding joy; and I will praise thee with the lyre,
O God, my God.  - Psalm 43:4


"Now, His return to us on our altars at Mass, at Communion, is not simply that we might worship, but that the need we have of sweetness in religion might be amply supplied.  We must approach His presence, gather about Him, for the refreshment of our lives, to break down the hideous monotony  of our work, to add the brightness of love to the gray streets and grayer skies. 

Not holiness alone, but the beauty of holiness, is required to bind our hearts, our whole souls to God.  The child, who, with his wistful trust, demands protection, asks for something more than strong defense; he needs also the warm welcome of love. 

And insofar are we all children, we need the gentleness and mercy of God to be made manifest, or else we shall be too frightened to go on.  If religion is to mean much to me, I must approach the altar of the sweetness of God, who gives joy to my youth." 
 
Fr Bede Jarrett, O.P.
Classic Catholic Meditations

IMAGE: Eucharist in Fruit Wreathe ~ Jan Davidsz De Heem

No comments:

Post a Comment