Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Lead, kindly Light...

"Lead, kindly Light! amid the encircling gloom,
Lead thou me on!"  
St John Henry Cardinal Newman
 


"In the Holy Mass that One Sacrifice on the Cross once offered
is renewed, continued, applied to our benefit. He seems to say,
My Cross was raised up 1800 years ago, and only for a few hours -
and very few of my servants were present there - but I intend to bring millions
into my Church. For their sakes then I will perpetuate my Sacrifice,
that each of them may be as though they had severally been present at Calvary.
I will offer Myself up day by day to the Father, that every one of my followers may have the opportunity to offer up his petitions to Him,
sanctified and recommended by the all-meritorious virtue of my Passion.
 
Thus I will be a Priest for ever, in the order of Melchizedek - 
My Priests will stand at the Altar - but not they, 
but I rather, will offer.  
I will not let them offer mere bread and wine,  but I myself 
will be present on the Altar insteadand I will offer 
myself invisibly, while they perform the outward rite.
And thus the Lamb that was slain once for all, though He is ascended on high, 
ever remains a victim from His miraculous presence in Holy Mass
under the figure and appearance of mere earthly and visible symbols."
 
 St John Henry Cardinal Newman
England ~ 1801-1890
Convert from Anglicanism in 1845
Teacher (Oxford), eminent theologian, writer, poet, popular preacher
Established Oratory of St Philip in England
Founded the Catholic University of Ireland
Canonized one year ago: October 13, 2019
Feast Day:  Oct 9
Painting above:  Francois-Marius Granet
 
 
Of the strength and stay that is the Eucharistic Presence of Christ,
Neuman penned a new translation of an old text, the Anima Christi
 
Soul of Christ, be my sanctification;
Body of Christ, be my salvation;
Blood of Christ, fill on my veins;
Water from the side of Christ, wash out my stains;
Passion of Christ, my comfort be;
O good Jesu, listen to me;
In Thy wounds I fain would hide,
Ne'er to be parted from Thy side.
Guard me, should the foe assail me;
Call me when my life should fail me;
Bid me come to Thee above,
With Thy saints to sing Thy love,
World without end.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment