Tuesday, March 2, 2021

The challenge...

Submit yourselves therefore to God.  Resist the devil
and he will flee from you. Draw near to God
and he will draw near to you. ... Humble yourselves
before the Lord and he will exalt you. - James 4:7,8a,10


"We go to Holy Communion in order that 
those (proper) dispositions may be formed in us.  
Only, we must want them to be formed in us
The trouble, you know, about you and me 
is not that we aren't saints,
but that we don't want to be saints.

Lord, I am not worthy, because I am not humble;
but I do want to be humble.
Lord I am not worthy, because I am backward
and slothful in your service;
but I hate my backwardness, I hate my sloth.
Lord, I am not worthy, because I am a bad sufferer;
but how I wish it were otherwise!

Let it be otherwise, Lordspeak the word only,
and thy servant shall be healed."

Msgr Ronald Knox
From Window in the Wall
Chapter XVI, The Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment