Monday, September 26, 2016

A Child's Wish (poem) ...

 
192ef40f53417c42b5cea9f01ffeec2e.jpg (372×480)
 
A Child's Wish

I wish I were the little key
That locks Love's Captive in,
And lets Him out to go and free
A sinful heart from sin.
 
I wish I were the little bell
that tinkles for the Host
When God comes down each day to dwell
With hearts He loves the most.
 
I wish I were the chalice fair
That holds the Blood of Love,
When every flash lights holy prayer
Upon its way above.
 
I wish I were the little flower
So near the Host's sweet face,
Or like the light that half an hour
Burned on the shrine of grace.
 
I wish I were the altar where
As on His mother's breast
Christ nestles, like a child, fore'er
In Eucharistic rest.
 
But oh, my God, I wish the most
That my poor heart may be
A home all holy for each Host
That comes in love to me.
 
Abram J Ryan
(1839-1886)
 

Painting above: Child in prayer by Roberto Ferruzzi

No comments:

Post a Comment