Monday, June 23, 2014

The strength of example...

"Joy is a net of love by which we catch souls." 
- Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta


 "One night before a big game in the east, I was nervous and worried about the outcome of the game the next day and was unable to sleep.  I tossed and rolled about the bed, and finally decided that I'd get up and dress, then go down to the lobby and sit in a chair and tried to get that football game off my mind by engaging some bellboys in conversation.

    Along about five or six o'clock in the morning I started pacing the lobby of the hotel; when suddenly I ran into two of my players hurrying out.  I asked them where they were going at such an hour, although I had a good idea.

    Then I retired to a chair in the corner of the lobby where I couldn't be seen, but where I could see everyone who went in and out of the door.  Within the next few minutes, my players kept hurrying out of the door in pairs and groups, and finally when they were all gone, I got over near the door so I could question the next player who came along.  In a minute or two, the last members of the squad hurried out of an elevator and made for the door.  I stopped them and asked them if they, too, were going to Mass, and they replied that they were.  I decided to go along with them.

    Although they probably didn't realize it, those youngsters were making a powerful impression on me with their piety and devotion, and when I saw all of them walking up to the Communion rail to receive, and realized the several hours' sleep they had sacrificed in order to do this, I understood for the first time what a powerful ally their religion was to those boys in their work on the football field. 

    This was when I really began to see the light, to know what was missing in my life, and later on, I had the great pleasure of being able to join my boys at the Communion rail."

Knute Rockne
Famed coach of Notre Dame
Excerpt from Hidden Treasure: 
The Riches of the Eucharist (pg 63-64)

No comments:

Post a Comment