Friday, May 27, 2016

O, Lord, my portion...

The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; 
surely I have a delightful inheritance. - Psalm 16:6

EUCHARIST.bmp (512×521)

"God, in His promises to hear our prayers, 
is desirous to bestow Himself upon us;
if you find anything better than Him, ask it; 
but if you ask anything beneath Him, you put an affront 
 upon Him, and hurt yourself by preferring to Him
a creature which He framed.

Pray in the spirit and sentiment of love, 
in which the royal prophet said to Him,
'Thou, O Lord, are my portion.'
Let others choose to themselves portions among creatures, 
for my part, You are my portion,
You alone I have chosen for my whole inheritance."


St Augustine of Canterbury*
*Not to be confused with St Augustine of Hippo
+605
Italian Benedictine monk
sent by Pope Gregory the Great as missionary to England
First Archbishop of Canterbury
Patron of England
Feast Day: May 27


5_27_augustine_canterbury.jpg (200×237)
In a letter to Augustine, Pope Gregory the Great wrote:
"He who would climb to a lofty height must go by steps, not leaps."

St Augustine of Canterbury, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment