Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Prayer of Offering for Lent

 
"The world is content with setting right
the surface of things;
the church aims at regenerating
the very depths of the heart."

Bl John Henry Newman
The Idea of a University (1852), p. 203



 


A Prayer of Offering for Lent

My God, I know well, you could have saved us at Your word,
without Yourself suffering; but You did choose to purchase us at the
price of Your Blood.  I look on You, the Victim lifted up on Calvary, and
I know that Your death was an expiation for the sins of the whole world. 
My Lord, I offer You myself in turn as a sacrifice of thanksgiving. 
You have died for me, and I in turn make myself over to You.  My wish
is to be separated from everything of this world; to cleanse myself
simply from sin.  Enable me to carry out what I profess.


A Newman Prayer Book
Editor VF Blehl, SJ (1990), p. 23

No comments:

Post a Comment