Sunday, July 3, 2016

Deep calls to deep...

"Devotion to the Precious Blood is not a spiritual option,
it is a spiritual obligation, and not only for priests,
but for every follower of Christ." - Fr John A Hardon
 
ChrismIMG_1779.jpg (700×467)
 
“Jesus has given us His Blood
even to the last drop.
What is there left to do? 
Jesus is a victim. 
Behold I am ready, O my God, 
to be a victim of love!"

St Gaspar del Bufalo

 
Today is the Lord's Day, the "lord of days",
today we also...Remember...
St Thomas the Apostle
Martyr (d. 74)
Carried and fearlessly preached the Gospel to India
SW coast of India call themselves 'Christians of St. Thomas'
Martyred in India with piercing from swords of four soldiers
FEAST DAY - July 3 


Besides tradition, we have the witness of Saints and Fathers of the Church that St. Thomas preached in India. The following powerful quote is from St. Ephraim the Syrian, in a writing on the devil. He discusses the power of the Apostles through Christ from the devil's perspective:

"The evil one wails, "Where then can I flee from the righteous? I incited Death to kill the apostles as if to escape from their scourges by their death. More than ever now I am scourged harshly. The apostle I killed in India (has come) to Edessa before me. Here is he and also there. I went there, there he is. Here and there I found him, and I am gloomy. Did that merchant carry the bones? Or perhaps, indeed, they carried him!"  http://sor.cua.edu/Personage/Qadishe/StThomas.html

 St Thomas the Apostle, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment