Sunday, July 30, 2017

Holy ministers for the altar...

"O, Father, give us holy ministers for Your altar, who shall be attentive
and fervent guardians of the Eucharist, the Sacrament of the supreme gift of 
Christ for the redemption of the world.  Amen." - Pope Benedict XVI
francois-marius-granet-priest-at-the-altar.jpg (366×488)
These words were written 110 years ago on July 28, 1907, on the morning of
Fr Willie Doyle’s ordination to the priesthood in Miltown Park, County Dublin.

"My loving Jesus, on this the morning of my Ordination
to the priesthood, I wish to place in Your Sacred Heart,
in gratitude for all that You have done for me, the resolution from
this day forward to go straight to holiness. My earnest wish and
firm resolve is to strive with might and main to become a saint."

And on 28 July 1914, the 7th anniversary of his ordination, he wrote:

"At Exposition Jesus spoke clearly in my soul, ‘Do the hard thing for
my sake BECAUSE it is hard’. I also felt urged to perform all my
priestly duties with great fervour to obtain grace for other priests
to do the same, e.g. the Office, that priests may say theirs well."

Fr Doyle’s last entry in his diary was made on the 10th anniversary
of his ordination (and 3 weeks prior to his death) on 28 July 1917: 

"I have again offered myself to Jesus as His Victim to do with
me absolutely as He pleases. I will try to take all that happens,
no matter from whom it comes, as sent to me by Jesus and will bear
suffering, heat, cold, etc., with joy as part of my immolation,
in reparation for the sins of priests. From this day I shall try bravely
to bear all little pains in this spirit. A strong urging to this."

For more on Fr Willie Doyle: 
Click here: Remembering Fr Willie Doyle SJ

Allegory-Full-Chalice-283x300.jpg (283×300)

Prayer for Priests composed by Fr Willie Doyle

O my God, pour out in abundance Thy spirit of sacrifice upon
Thy priests. It is both their glory and their duty to become victims,
to be burnt up for souls, to live without ordinary joys, to be often
the objects of distrust, injustice, and persecution.

The words they say every day at the altar, “This is my Body,
this is my Blood,” grant them to apply to themselves: “I am no longer
myself, I am Jesus, Jesus crucified. I am, like the bread and wine,
 a substance no longer itself, but by consecration another.”

O my God, I burn with desire for the sanctification of Thy priests.
I wish all the priestly hands which touch Thee were hands whose touch
 is gentle and pleasing to Thee, that all the mouths uttering such
sublime words at the altar should never descend to speaking trivialities.

Let priests in all their person stay at the level of their lofty functions,
let every man find them simple and great, like the Holy Eucharist,
accessible to all yet above the rest of men. O my God, grant them to carry
with them from the Mass of today, a thirst for the Mass of tomorrow,
and grant them, ladened themselves with gifts,
to share these abundantly with their fellow men.   Amen.

Top painting: Priest at the Altar ~ Francois Marius Garnet 
Bottom painting: Holy Eucharist and Fruit ~ Jan de Heem

No comments:

Post a Comment