Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Wanting more...

 (Love) burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame. 
Many waters cannot quench love;
rivers cannot wash it away.  - Song of Songs 8:6b, 7a


 "I felt it first as a longing, an ache that resisted all remedy, a hunger that refused to be filled.  I was perplexed.  What was it in these Catholic churches that wooed me whenever I visited to pray?
    It was of course the Eucharistic Presence.  But until I became Catholic myself and learned about that glorious, veiled Reality, I could only marvel at the peace, the joy, the strength I encountered whenever I knelt before the tabernacle.  I was haunted by the Hidden God.
    The day came at last when I actually tasted the Bread of heaven - could any day have been happier? - and He joined Himself to me more intimately than I could ever have imagined.  But in the years since, that Feast has only sharpened the hunger for Him; as many of the saints have observed, the more we feed on Him, the more we want."
 
Paul Thigpen
Jesus, We Adore You (Intro, pg 11)

No comments:

Post a Comment