Friday, July 1, 2011

Trusting in the Sacred Heart

 FEAST of the SACRED HEART of JESUS

The devotion especially emphasizes the unmitigated love, compassion,
and long-suffering of the heart of Christ towards humanity. 

The Sacred Heart is often depicted in Christian art as a flaming heart shining with divine light, pierced by the lance-wound, surrounded by the crown of thorns, surmounted by a cross
and bleeding. Sometimes the image shown shining within the bosom of Christ with his
wounded hands pointing at the heart. The wounds and crown of thorns allude to the
manner of Jesus' death, while the fire represents the transformative power of divine love.




"Every time I hear anyone speak of the Sacred Heart of Jesus or of the Blessed Sacrament I feel an indescribable joy. It is as if a wave of precious memories,sweet affections and joyful hopes swept over my poor person, making me tremble with happiness and filling my soul with tenderness. These are loving appeals from Jesus who wants me wholeheartedly there, at the source of all goodness, his Sacred Heart, throbbing mysteriously behind the Eucharistic veils... I love to repeat today 'Sweet Heart of my Jesus, make me love You more and more.'"

Pope John XXIII, Journal of a Soul

 

"But above all, Your Heart was wounded so that a visible scar would enable us to see the invisible wound of Your love. For how could the ardor of Your love be better shown than by this, that not only Your Body but even Your very Heart was pierced with a lance? Truly the wounds of the flesh showed forth the wounds of the spirit. Who is there who would not love One so loving? My dearly beloved, let us pray that the Sacred Heart may deign to wound our heart still so hard, still so impenitent, and bind it with the sweet bonds of His love."

St. Bonaventure
 Most Sacred Heart of Jesus,
have mercy on us!
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus,
we trust in you!

No comments:

Post a Comment